“Out of the fullness of his grace he has blessed us all, giving us one blessing after another” (John 1:16)
We all have spent the last 24 hours wishing each other, happy new year and saying
the phrase “God bless you” to all our friends and family. But do you know what a blessing really is? I don’t believe most people do.
It actually means “good word.” Don’t ever doubt this. God has some really good words for you.
I’ve looked at all of the verses in the Bible about blessing. As I did, I discovered six truths related to God’s blessing.
- It’s not fully dependent on you. God blesses us even though we don’t deserve it. The Bible tells us, “Out of the fullness of His grace He has blessed us all; giving us one blessing after another” (John 1:16)
- It is His hobby. God blesses us because He enjoys doing it. Any parent can understand this. We love to bless our children. So does God. God says in Jeremiah 32:41: “I will enjoy blessing them”.
- His blessings are a reward. God promises He will bless our lives if we obey Him. God’s promises and His blessings are not automatic. They are conditional. You’re not waiting on God to bless you. He is waiting for you to fulfill the conditions necessary for your blessing. However, your worth and the blessings you receive are not dependent on your works, they remain dependent on God’s unchanging Love ❤
- His blessings prove His goodness and faithfulness. God blesses us as a witness to others. God wants to show off His blessing so that other people can see what a good God he is.
- God blesses us to bless others. God
doesn’t bless you so you can just store up His blessings and keep them all to yourselves. God blesses you so you can bless others.
- God’s blessing can be multigenerational. God does this over and over throughout the Bible. For example, the Bible says in Genesis 25:11, “After Abraham’s death, God blessed his son Isaac”.
Never forget that God wants to bless you. You’re not waiting for him. He’s waiting for you!
- Of the six truths about God’s blessing mentioned in today’s devotional, which one surprises you the most? Why?
- Are there any conditions to God’s blessing you know you aren’t fulfilling currently? What can you do this year to grow in that area?
- What are some ways that you can use your blessings to bless others?
Prayer: Lord, this year reposition me to receive and manifest all the blessings You have already deposited into my life. I choose to walk in obedience and declare that Your mighty power shall overcome every challenge on my way in Jesus’ name. Amen
(C) Adeyemi Agbelusi